Traineeship in Professional Cookery Programme
Based on well established apprenticeship principles, a Traineeship is an alternative to full time tertiary education. Comprising work integrated learning undertaken in the workplace and theoretical study by way of distance learning through our IHS Online campus, tutorials and ancillary courses, Traineeships have proven themselves (to trainees and employers) in the quality of graduates produced and the number of successful careers launched.
Successful candidates will be required to work standard industry shifts up to 45 hours per week, averaged over 4 months (including Public Holidays, Sundays and nightshifts). Trainee chefs spend their time in the various kitchen departments within the hotel. They are supervised and assessed by the Chef de Cuisine where they experience on-the-job training by a team of experienced chefs.
Type of Study
- 2 year programmes
- Minimum entry requirement – National Senior Certificate with a Higher Certificate entry pass or equivalent
- Programmes commence each year in January and July
- Trainee allowance is dependent on the property at which they are placed
Upon Successful Completion the Graduates will receive:
- IHS Higher Certificate in Food & Beverage Management (NQF Level 5) (SAQA ID No: 88063 )
- City & Guilds Diploma in Food Preparation and Cooking (Culinary Arts)
On successful completion of the Higher Certificate the student can apply to study further full time with the Diploma in Professional Cookery and Kitchen Management or Hospitality Management (NQF Level 6), Patisserie Programme, or any of our Online Learning Programmes. www.hotelschool.co
Chef, Canteen Manager, Caterer, food and many more.