Hailing from the streets of Umlazi, Durban entrepreneur, Skhumbuzo Maphanga is the proud owner of Bakers Gallery SA. He is a Professional Cookery & Kitchen Management Graduate from the International Hotel School. It’s been 3 years since Skhumbuzo opened his doors. He has baked for numerous high profile events in Durban, birthday gatherings and Weddings. Skhumbuzo’s bakery offers scrumptious cakes that look and taste amazing with the help of his trusty co-workers.
Here are Skhumbuzo’s top five secrets that every entrepreneur should know:
- Trust your instincts
- Firstly, always trust your gut and don’t doubt your decisions! There will always be friends or family members that will doubt your business idea. Imagine if some of the most influential leaders, artists or talk show hosts such as Oprah Winfrey or Trevor Noah immediately gave up or allowed for others to influence their decisions. Trust me, it is so satisfying now to see the success that my bakery has already achieved since I chose to trust my instincts!
- Believe in yourself wholeheartedly
- Sometimes you need to be your own champion when no one else will. These are the 3 magnificent ingredients that you need: Self-belief, passion and determination. Mix these together and the outcome of your business will be amazing! It all starts with you and what’s in your mind.
- Google is your best friend
- It is so important to keep abreast of new developments that are taking place in the country. By constantly reading and researching the latest trends, you are able to learn and teach yourself new skills or designs that will allow for you to work smarter or make more informed artistic decisions. Identify conferences that are in line with your business and attend those events. During the event introduce yourself to the key speakers and attendees. Tell them about your product and who you are.
- Self-care, to the rescue!
- Eating well, sleeping properly and getting exercise are some of the great ways to take care of yourself, especially if you find yourself working 18 hours a day. I relax by taking a long hot bath, exercising, or by simply taking the time to make myself a delish meal. On the odd occasion I take the dogs for a walk along Durban’s glorious beaches. Last, but not least it’s important to keep good connections with those closest to you. So call a trusted friend, family member or someone who understands you and your business.
- Become a bookworm
- Read as much as you can. Make it your goal to purchase at least one book a month, even if you are going to read it over the next five years. Books can be incredibly powerful they have the ability to take us on adventures, teach us and sometimes even change our lives.
If, like Skhumbuzo, you are passionate about the hospitality industry and want to work in hotels or become a chef, International Hotel School has a course that will suit you. Contact us and we can help you to open those doors and reach your potential too.
Skhumbuzo’s Bakers Gallery Vehicle’s.