WorldSkills hold Skills competitions around the world to showcase and inspire world-class excellence in skills and introduce the youth to a variety of skilled careers. This year our IHS students were actively involved in assisting as well as three students across all our campuses participated in the skills competitions. From IHS Cape Town we had Lee-Ann Smith a Diploma Hospitality Management student represent us in the Restaurant Services skills competition, from IHS Durban campus we had Michaella Francheschi another Diploma Hospitality Management student who also represtended IHS in the Restaurant Services lastly from Johannesburg we had our Culinary Arts student Nicole Francis represent us in the Cooking Skills competition. We are so proud of our IHS ladies who will be attending the WorldSkills finals in Abu Dhabi this October, thank you for your hard work and flying the IHS flag high!
IMPROVING THE WORLD WITH THE POWER OF SKILLS
WorldSkills showcases the value of skills and raising the recognition of skilled professionals worldwide.
Skills are the foundation of modern life. Everything, from the houses we live in to the societies we create, is the result of skills. They are the driving force behind successful careers and companies, thriving industries, and economies. Skills keep the world working.
WorldSkills aims to:
- Expose youth to a variety of skilled careers and equip them with the tools and resources they need to build a future.
- Communicate the benefits of holding a WorldSkills event to Members.
- Organize skill competitions and events for young people on all levels all over the world.
- Be a place and a platform for celebrating world-class excellence in skills by showcasing the next generation of skills talent.
- Explain the motivational and educational benefit of competitions by showing how they build Competitors’ character, confidence, commitment, and self-esteem.
- Offer companies, industries, and trades a chance to meet and recruit skilled people who have demonstrated that they are at the “top of their game.”
- e proactive on skills issues by constantly influencing agendas now.
- Enable networks through word-of-mouth, social media, events, and other outlets.
- Be part of the conversation in policy development in countries.
- Be the authority on skills development and excellence worldwide as a power-hub and information resource.
- Work together with educators, policy makers, industry, and other organizations to redefine the value and improve the attractiveness of skills.
- Advocate the need, value, and results of skilled work and professional training for young people so that industries, regions, and countries will thrive in the global economy.
Our IHS WorldSkills Students
Lee – Ann Smith from IHS CPT – Gold Medallist in Restaurant Services and will go to Abu Dhabi.
Michaella Franceschi from IHS DBN – Silver Medallist in Restaurant Services and is the Reserve for Abu Dhabi.
Nicole Francis from IHS JHB – Silver Medallist in Cooking and is the Reserve for Abu Dhabi.
WORLDSKILLS ABU DHABI 2017
The 44th WorldSkills Competition will be held at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, AbuDhabi, United Arab Emirates in October 2017.
For more information visit www.worldskillsabudhabi2017.com