Did you know that plating your food correctly can be the key to living a healthy life? Food plating is not only how the food looks on your plate but also about the type and amount of food that goes onto your plate. It’s important to include all the food groups within a healthy eating plan as your body needs different kinds of nutrients which come from a variety of foods. To help you become the ultimate food plating master here are three easy-to-follow steps and some super tips to make sure you live a healthy life, each and every day!
STEP 3: Get the balance RIGHT when snacking
Most people enjoy snacking between meals as it gives them a little boost. The benefits of snacking between meals include:
- Keeps your blood glucose (sugar) levels stable throughout the day, especially if you find your energy level drops between meals
- Stops you from eating too much at mealtimes.
You need to remember to snack wisely by including healthy snacks such as fresh fruit and dairy. Lean proteins and healthy fats can be included here too. Aim to plate your snacks instead of eating them out of packets.
SUPER TIPS to HELP YOU plate well:
- Plates with a darker coloured rim can help you plate meals with an emphasis on portion control as you will tend to only serve food on the lighter (inner) part of the plate
- Avoid being tempted by second and third helpings by serving the right portions on your plate and remember the balance!
- Be aware of your feelings of fullness. This message between your gut and brain takes about 20 minutes to register. Eat slowly, pay attention to your body’s cues and enjoy the meal without distractions (e.g. TV) and with family and friends.
- Establish an eating routine by sticking to regular meals and evenly-spaced snack times. Never skip meals.
Optimize your health today by following these three steps and super tips!
If you’d like to learn more about culinary arts, take a look at our Culinary Arts Programmes on offer.