Squid Ink Pasta and Prawn Lasagne
Hotel School | 08 March 2017
Being a Chef School in Gauteng, our campus has a number of Open days throughout the year, where prospective students and parents are welcome to come along and get a taste of the IHS experience. It is here where our IHS Culinary students make wonderful culinary treats for all the attendees and they are extremely fortunate to get to work with a great South African Brand, Mediterranean Delicacies. The market leader in the production of dips and specialized products in South Africa. Mediterranean Delicacies offers an exclusive and extensive range of authentic Mediterranean-style food products. Their range includes dips & pates, olives & olive oil, pickles, meze products, pesto's, cheeses and fresh pastries as well as value added seafood products. Their market includes retail stores, foodservice & hospitality clients throughout South Africa. We are so proud of our students creations this Open day, take a look at their Open squid lasagne of prawn with tomato and shellfish soup.
Open squid lasagne of prawn with a tomato and shellfish soup
50g squid pasta
8 prawns blanched
1 tbsp. concasse of tomato
2 tsp chopped chervil (alternatively use dill)
Garlic and red pepper dressing (Brunoise red pepper, 15 ml olive oil 2 g chopped garlic, 5 ml sherry vinegar, salt and pepper to taste)
100g shellfish shells
15 ml brandy
7.5ml Mediterranean Delicacies Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
50 ml fish stock
50 ml cream
Salt and pepper to taste
For the squid ink pasta
60g bread flour or OO grade flour
Half an egg
1 egg yolk
2 ml olive oil
1 tbsp. squid ink
- Sweat the shells in butter for 3 minutes.
- Add the brandy and flambé
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and allow to simmer for 25 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the cream and reduce until slightly thickened.
- Pass, correct the seasoning and keep warm.
- Roll the pasta dough into lasagne sheets and blanch in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and pat dry.
- Add to the shellfish soup with half the prawn meat, tomato concasse and chervil.
- Arrange the mix in the bowl.
- Remove a little of the soup and blend until a foam is achieved and then spoon over.
- Finish with the red pepper dressing and remaining prawn meat.
Use Mediterranean Delicacies Basil Pesto to make a spoon-drag as garnish
For this demo we made use of Mediterranean Delicacies Products.
Please refer to the below website for their complete catalogue.