Celebrity chef demos and culinary delights for International Hotel School students
Hotel School | 29 August 2013
The International Hotel School recently had a number of our students involved in the Good Food and Wine Show 2013, held in Durban, Cape Town, and Johannesburg. The Good Food and Wine Show is always a highlight on the IHS calendar because it’s a leading culinary event that gives students first-hand experience of what being in the culinary industry is all about!
This year was no exception, with both students and staff getting an exciting taste of the action as a major part of the event. The Christina Martin Culinary Arts students were responsible for assisting celebrity chefs during their demonstrations, while the Hospitality Management and Hotel Operations students played their part in the operations and floor management side of things.
Ruth Paulsen, Marketing Manager of The International Hotel School explains:
The Good Food and Wine Show gives our students a fantastic opportunity to work with celebrity chefs and they gain so much from it!”
Celebrity chefs at the Good Food & Wine Show
The Hospitality Management and Hotel Operations students certainly had their hands full learning the ropes and assisting in making sure that everything ran smoothly, and maintaining the flow of demonstrations during the show.
Some of the celebrity chefs that appeared at the Good Food and Wine Show this year were:
- TV personality James Martin, who is a regular face on South African television;
- Award-winning Melbourne chef, Gary Mehigan;
- Vivek Singh of London’s Cinnamon Club, who has transformed the face of Indian cooking;
- Jozi Uncooked founder, Chef Brittany Kesselman;
- Anjali Pathak, an exciting talent in the Indian food and spice arena and part of the famous Patak spice family;
- Chef and author of nine bestselling cookbooks, Sharon Glass;
- Vegan baker, Mellissa Morgan, who is known to her legions of fans around the world as Ms Cupcake;
- Contestant in Series 3 of MasterChef Australia, Hayden Quinn; and
- Paul Hollywood, to name a few!
Cooking tips and tricks from the best
The event was a huge success and all of the IHS students and staff thoroughly enjoyed the experience and opportunity to rub shoulders with the celebrity chefs! They gained valuable knowledge from their time at the Show, including learning helpful cooking tips from the celebrity chefs.
The Good Food and Wine Show is always an inspiration and a delight for all the foodies – a definite must-do for future chefs and culinary artists.