So you think you can be a chef?

Hotel School | 13 July 2010

Have you heard about Ikusasa? Ikusasa School of Cooking is a fantastic social upliftment initiative which gives young people who:

1. Can’t afford tertiary education...
  2. Have learning difficulties...
  3. Have an underprivileged background...

...an opportunity for a successful career in the hospitality industry.

Basically, Ikusasa grants opportunities for a great future to young people who may otherwise not have had much in the way of prospects.

Who’s behind the project?Ikusasa school of cooking

Ikusasa offers a one year chef’s training course custom designed and created by The International Hotel School and accredited by City and Guilds. This is a respected hospitality qualification recognised around the world. The course is also supported by Chaine des Rotisseurs Foundation Trust, an international food and wine society as well as a number of other sponsors.

How does the course work?

Ten students are chosen from the group of applicants.

The course is one year long and the curriculum looks like this:

1. IHS Basic Cooking Skills course
2. City & Guilds: Skills Foundation Certificate in basic food preparation (first six months)
3. City & Guilds: Skills Proficiency Certificate in basic food preparation (second six months)

Each week the trainee chefs have three days of training at the Ikusasa training kitchen and three days of practical and experiential learning in hotel kitchens. They have one day off a week.

Another awesome bonus is that students are guaranteed a job upon completion of their course.

Class of 2010

“Meet” the budding chefs of 2010 and check them out having a jol in the kitchen!

A priceless education

Do you know how much it costs to become a qualified chef? Yes, munchos dolleros. R100 000. Per year. The price of a small car. So, what does it cost for a year’s training and qualification at Ikusasa School of Cooking?

Nothing.

Ikusasa is a social upliftment project. The cost of running the school is taken care of by various sponsors.

Ikusasa sponsors

The people who make it all possible are the good folk at:

• The International Hotel School
• City & Guilds
• Chaine des Rotisseries Foundation Trust

A number of other generous sponsors are also involved.

Grab your opportunity for 2011

Applications for Ikusasa’s 2011 class are open and the deadline is July 15th 2010. Download application forms here.
[download id="2"]

The International Hotel School and its partners are proud to be training the culinary stars of tomorrow and look forward to giving them a bright future in the hospitality industry. Is this your chance to be one of them? Don’t miss out!

Tags:
City and Guilds
course in hospitality
courses hospitality management
courses in hospitality
hospitality and tourism courses
hospitality course
hospitality courses
Hospitality Industry
hospitality management course
hospitality short courses
hospitality training courses
ikusasa
Ikusasa School of Cooking
international food and wine society
social upliftment initiative
tertiary education
The International Hotel School
underprivileged backround
young people
Categories:
Hospitality Careers
Hospitality Industry
IHS News
Interviews
Videos

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Comments

Name:
Khulekani
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-08-22T1:48:7200

I have passion in cooking I completed my matric last year and I'm currently doing a one year course which is also professional cookery qualification NQF level 4 and I was wandering if it can be possible for me to do an complession of NQF level 6 next year

Khulekani
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-08-22T1:48:7200

Khulekani
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-08-22T1:48:7200

Khulekani
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-08-22T1:48:7200

Johannes Nkgane
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-07-01T6:58:7200

These would be a complete life saver for me ,if i could get a chance to be one of the student at the Hotel School

Ntombi Morajane
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-03-21T17:08:7200

Hi I'm Ntombi Morajane, 35 old single mom I also I'raised my sister who's now 21 I wanif I could find someone who can sponsor me on becoming a chef I'm passionate about cooking this could really change my life a lot and help her further her studies

desiree govender
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-03-21T16:23:7200

Good day. I know a young adult who us 19 years old, from a poor community.She only has std 5 education. She had to leave school, due to an head injury that she had when she was little,causing this learning difficulty.She really wants to become a chef.Can your program assist in making her dreams a reality,kind regards Desiree Govende

WENDY MANAMELA
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-03-16T10:53:7200

i really have a passion for baking and i would really love to receive a bursary for me to go to a culinary academy/school.baking is basically my whole life so getting a bursary would mean a lot to me

WENDY MANAMELA
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-03-16T10:51:7200

i really have a passion for baking and i would really love to receive a bursary for me to go to a culinary academy/school.baking is basically my whole so getting a bursary would mean a lot to me

WENDY MANAMELA
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-03-16T10:51:7200

Steve
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-03-09T15:31:7200

My Son want to become a chef but have dislexia. We as parents want the best for him but have to except that he have this disability. we cannot find any place where he can fit in in creating a future for himself and time runs out. Please assist as we don't haev the knowledge or experience in this field.

Mickyle Camhee
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-02-25T12:08:7200

I Mickyle Camhee would like to become a Chef. My N 060 996 5952

Mickyle Camhee
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-02-25T12:17:7200

What are the requirements to for a chef school. I finish my Matric 2015.My DREAM is to be come a chef.Is their sponsors

Thida Aye
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-02-06T11:21:7200

I am looking forward your reply. I think I will hear the good new. Thank you Sir.

Thida Aye
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-02-06T11:19:7200

I want to know where is the school? And this school in Bangkok Thailand?

Thida Aye
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-02-06T9:46:7200

Hi, I am from Myanmar and I am grade 10 student. I cannot speak English well. But I am interest to do bakery. So I want to know can I attend your school? How to apply this school? I want to do good chef. I want toattendINTERNATIONAL HOTEL SCHOOL.

Mpendulo
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-01-10T13:19:7200

I have difficulties studying I would love to be in ur school cause I really love cooking I would be very happy if your'l take me

Mpendulo
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-01-10T13:12:7200

Is it possible for me to apply with grade 10

Beverly
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2016-01-08T15:54:7200

Good day
I am interested in attend this cooking school I'm currently working and would like to know if I can attend weekends
How much does it cost and where are you based

karabo
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-12-29T8:48:7200

Is it possible that you can still apply whilst you in grade 11?

Selotlegeng
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-12-16T14:49:7200

I would like to find out more about ikusasa and opportunities of being a chef.I currently do not have matric or means to finance myself. Your help will be appreciated.

Candice Mabuti
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-10-14T20:01:7200

Hy.I am in grade 7.I just wanted to know what school you need to study at to be a chef

Noluthando Mlala
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-09-18T22:44:7200

i think this is a very helpful program especially for the disadvantaged and passinate, my name is noluthando mlala.im currently in grade 12 this year at carletonville (tswasongu high school) and cooking is my passion,i will like to build a career in cooking.im from a very diadvantaged background.how do i apply?my number is 078 228 5727

Lydia Venter
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-09-17T22:47:7200

My daughter has dyslexia, but is brilliant in baking. How can she apply to join your school. We are missionaries in Kenya, so money is an issue (we are South African citizens and Joy can fly back home any time, when needed). Looking forward to your positive response.

Njabulo Mbatha
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-09-12T18:27:7200

Hello...
My name is Njabulo Mbatha,I am currently in grade 12 and I live in Roodepoort in (Johannesburg). I would like to join the school and become a professional chef, but I don't know how...I am looking forward to your positive response.

amanda
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-08-28T9:42:7200

Good morning my name is Amanda,I was wondering how can I apply,I love and enjoy cooking and I would like to become the best Chef and maybe one day open my own bussiness bt my problem is I do not have Matric.Is it too late for me because I have just turned 33years old..please help and u can contact me on 071 871 1119..kind regards Amanda

khanyisile
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-08-16T14:06:7200

Hi I'm khanyisile from Mpumalanga Middelburg I'm doing grade 9 and I would love to join the school because I love cooking how can I apply

jazel rifumo nkuna
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-08-11T16:39:7200

hi guys please help me out I want to be a professional chef and I'm looking for a school I'm doing grade 9 and next I will be doing grade 10 so I want to follow my dream please contact me 0794246373

jazel rifumo nkuna
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-08-11T16:39:7200

Nonceba
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-08-11T13:28:7200

I'm living in Mpumalanga Nelspruit and I would realy love to become a chef one day, that's my dream.

patricia potsane
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-08-05T16:43:7200

are people from Johannesburg allowed to apply?

Isabel Chongo
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-05-07T14:12:7200

Is this program only for South Africans?

International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on 2015-05-15T14:37:7200

Hi Isabel, thank you for the enquiry. Yes it is unfortunately for Ikusasa school of cooking, but you can be from any country to study at the International Hotel School. Please click on the link http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsHospitalityManagement/index.php, complete you details and a consultant will contact you with more details.

samu
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-04-28T8:05:7200

Hi. My name is Samu. I would love to study cooking. I love cooking. How do I go about applying to study cooking with you guys?

International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on 2015-05-04T15:22:7200

Hi Samu thank you for contacting us, please click on the link http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsCulinaryArts/index.php complete the form and a consultant will contact you and explain our culinary programmes :)

fundi
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-03-22T11:57:7200

Hi my name is fundisiwe mnguni im 27 years old,I was wondering if anyone can help me to achieve my goal to become a professional chef and I want to be a best cooker in the world i love cooking and baking I've done my matric on 2008 my results are not good but i did home economics.i want to study and to reach my goal,becoming a chef its my passion and its in my heart.please help me i want to start study on june

International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on 2015-03-30T7:41:7200

Hi Fundisiwe thank you for contacting us, the good news is that we have a variety of programmes that you can study with us. Please click on the link http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsCulinaryArts/index.php complete your details and a consultant will contact you

Keabetswe
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-03-11T12:58:7200

Hy,,where is the course taking place?Can i register for june?Plz answer me as soon as possible!!

International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on 2015-03-13T12:13:7200

Hi Keabetswe thank you for contacting us, the Ikusasa programme is not administered by the International Hotel School. All we do is provided the education part of the programme. If you would like to find out more about our other programmes, please click on the link http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsHospitalityFulltime/index.php complete the form and one of our consultants will contact you

Thabiso Goodman
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-01-21T19:24:7200

guys I'm still waiting for your call, I want to study this year I'm 25 years old I want to achieve my goal to be a best chef and best pastry chef because I love to bake so I need to study this year please call me or email me...I put my 110% effort and I wanna travel the world.

International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on 2015-01-23T11:35:7200

Hi Thabiso my apologies on the delay, they will contact you shorty

Thabiso Goodman
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-01-19T11:28:7200

just want to say I'm trying to submit your form but I don't know it my phone or maybe it your side but I want to do hospitality,I need your help guys I want to achieve my goal...0822 560 311. I want to be a best cooker and best baker.

International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on 2015-01-19T16:44:7200

Hi Thabiso thank you for sending us your contact details, a consultant will contact you

Bianka Opperman
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-01-14T21:06:7200

Hi,

I just finished matric with a distinction and my dream is to become a chef but unfortunaltey due to both my parents been retrenched last year and only earning minimum salary we cant afford the fees. Do you perhaps know where I maybe can try get a bursary or something please.

International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on 2015-01-19T16:54:7200

Hi Bianka thank you for contacting us, as we are a private institution we don’t have in-house loans but students can study with us via a student loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. Please click on the link and complete the form, one of our consultants will contact you to explain how student loans work http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsCulinaryArts/index.php

Robyn-Anne Vilbro
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-01-13T22:55:7200

I would like to enquire if Ikusasa is offering opportunities for matriculant such as myself for 2015 as I am very interested.

Many thanks and kind regards.

International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on 2015-01-19T16:56:7200

Hi Robyn-Anne thank you for contacting us, the Ikusasa programme is not administered by the International Hotel School. All we do is provided the education part of the programme. If you would like to find out more about the programme, please click on the link and complete the form. One of our consultants will contact you :) http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsHospitalityFulltime/index.php

Elzahn
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2015-01-07T8:34:7200

Hi,

I have a friend who's daughter would like to study to become a pastry chef, she just past matric 2014 could you kindly advise me if you guys offer that course and how to go about applying. My friend is a single mother and cannot afford fees and would really love for her daughter to pursue her dreams she does not know that I am doing this, please could you get back to me as soon as you can. Thank you!

International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on 2015-01-19T16:58:7200

Hi Elzahn thank you for contacting us, yes we do offer a Patisserie programme at IHS however as we are a private institution we don’t have in-house loans but students can study with us via a student loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. Please click on the link and complete the form, one of our consultants will contact you to explain how student loans work http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsCulinaryArts/index.php

thabiso
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on 2014-11-30T23:33:7200

hi my name is Thabiso Goodman I was wondering if anyone can help me to achieve my goal to become a professional chef..I want to be a best cooker in the world I love cooking and baking too but my family they don't believe in me and they don't agree with me to become a chef so I want to prove them wrong...Help please!thank you..

Pages