So you think you can be a chef?

Hotel School | 13 July 2010

Have you heard about Ikusasa? Ikusasa School of Cooking is a fantastic social upliftment initiative which gives young people who:

1. Can’t afford tertiary education...
  2. Have learning difficulties...
  3. Have an underprivileged background...

...an opportunity for a successful career in the hospitality industry.

Basically, Ikusasa grants opportunities for a great future to young people who may otherwise not have had much in the way of prospects.

Who’s behind the project?Ikusasa school of cooking

Ikusasa offers a one year chef’s training course custom designed and created by The International Hotel School and accredited by City and Guilds. This is a respected hospitality qualification recognised around the world. The course is also supported by Chaine des Rotisseurs Foundation Trust, an international food and wine society as well as a number of other sponsors.

How does the course work?

Ten students are chosen from the group of applicants.

The course is one year long and the curriculum looks like this:

1. IHS Basic Cooking Skills course
2. City & Guilds: Skills Foundation Certificate in basic food preparation (first six months)
3. City & Guilds: Skills Proficiency Certificate in basic food preparation (second six months)

Each week the trainee chefs have three days of training at the Ikusasa training kitchen and three days of practical and experiential learning in hotel kitchens. They have one day off a week.

Another awesome bonus is that students are guaranteed a job upon completion of their course.

Class of 2010

“Meet” the budding chefs of 2010 and check them out having a jol in the kitchen!

A priceless education

Do you know how much it costs to become a qualified chef? Yes, munchos dolleros. R100 000. Per year. The price of a small car. So, what does it cost for a year’s training and qualification at Ikusasa School of Cooking?

Nothing.

Ikusasa is a social upliftment project. The cost of running the school is taken care of by various sponsors.

Ikusasa sponsors

The people who make it all possible are the good folk at:

• The International Hotel School
• City & Guilds
• Chaine des Rotisseries Foundation Trust

A number of other generous sponsors are also involved.

Grab your opportunity for 2011

Applications for Ikusasa’s 2011 class are open and the deadline is July 15th 2010. Download application forms here.
[download id="2"]

The International Hotel School and its partners are proud to be training the culinary stars of tomorrow and look forward to giving them a bright future in the hospitality industry. Is this your chance to be one of them? Don’t miss out!

Tags:
City and Guilds
course in hospitality
courses hospitality management
courses in hospitality
hospitality and tourism courses
hospitality course
hospitality courses
Hospitality Industry
hospitality management course
hospitality short courses
hospitality training courses
ikusasa
Ikusasa School of Cooking
international food and wine society
social upliftment initiative
tertiary education
The International Hotel School
underprivileged backround
young people
Categories:
Hospitality Careers
Hospitality Industry
IHS News
Interviews
Videos

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Comments

Name:
Thabiso Goodman
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 01/21/2015 - 19:24

guys I'm still waiting for your call, I want to study this year I'm 25 years old I want to achieve my goal to be a best chef and best pastry chef because I love to bake so I need to study this year please call me or email me...I put my 110% effort and I wanna travel the world.

Submitted by hotelschool on Fri, 01/23/2015 - 11:35

Hi Thabiso my apologies on the delay, they will contact you shorty

Thabiso Goodman
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 01/19/2015 - 11:28

just want to say I'm trying to submit your form but I don't know it my phone or maybe it your side but I want to do hospitality,I need your help guys I want to achieve my goal...0822 560 311. I want to be a best cooker and best baker.

Submitted by hotelschool on Mon, 01/19/2015 - 16:44

Hi Thabiso thank you for sending us your contact details, a consultant will contact you

Bianka Opperman
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 01/14/2015 - 21:06

Hi,

I just finished matric with a distinction and my dream is to become a chef but unfortunaltey due to both my parents been retrenched last year and only earning minimum salary we cant afford the fees. Do you perhaps know where I maybe can try get a bursary or something please.

Submitted by hotelschool on Mon, 01/19/2015 - 16:54

Hi Bianka thank you for contacting us, as we are a private institution we don’t have in-house loans but students can study with us via a student loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. Please click on the link and complete the form, one of our consultants will contact you to explain how student loans work http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsCulinaryArts/index.php

Robyn-Anne Vilbro
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 01/13/2015 - 22:55

I would like to enquire if Ikusasa is offering opportunities for matriculant such as myself for 2015 as I am very interested.

Many thanks and kind regards.

Submitted by hotelschool on Mon, 01/19/2015 - 16:56

Hi Robyn-Anne thank you for contacting us, the Ikusasa programme is not administered by the International Hotel School. All we do is provided the education part of the programme. If you would like to find out more about the programme, please click on the link and complete the form. One of our consultants will contact you :) http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsHospitalityFulltime/index.php

Elzahn
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 01/07/2015 - 08:34

Hi,

I have a friend who's daughter would like to study to become a pastry chef, she just past matric 2014 could you kindly advise me if you guys offer that course and how to go about applying. My friend is a single mother and cannot afford fees and would really love for her daughter to pursue her dreams she does not know that I am doing this, please could you get back to me as soon as you can. Thank you!

Submitted by hotelschool on Mon, 01/19/2015 - 16:58

Hi Elzahn thank you for contacting us, yes we do offer a Patisserie programme at IHS however as we are a private institution we don’t have in-house loans but students can study with us via a student loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. Please click on the link and complete the form, one of our consultants will contact you to explain how student loans work http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsCulinaryArts/index.php

thabiso
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 11/30/2014 - 23:33

hi my name is Thabiso Goodman I was wondering if anyone can help me to achieve my goal to become a professional chef..I want to be a best cooker in the world I love cooking and baking too but my family they don't believe in me and they don't agree with me to become a chef so I want to prove them wrong...Help please!thank you..

Submitted by hotelschool on Mon, 12/08/2014 - 09:41

Hi Thabiso, thank you for contacting us, may I suggest that you and your parents attend one of our open days, the next one is taking place on 10 January 2015. It would be a perfect way for your parents to get information on the hospitality industry. Please click on the link and complete the form and one of our consultants will contact you http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsCulinaryArts/index.php

sinazo
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 11/26/2014 - 02:18

hy, i've done my matric last year on 2013 and i did home economics from grade 10 to grade 12. the problem is i want to continue with feather education and become a chef one day but i dont have money to study. i saw this ikusasa advertisement now on internet and i would like ikusasa to help me because i want to study and to reach my goals. becoming a chef its my passion and its in my heart. please help me i want to study next year.

Submitted by hotelschool on Fri, 11/28/2014 - 16:07

Hi Sinazo thank you for contacting us, the Ikusasa programme is not administered by the International Hotel School. All we do is provided the education part of the programme. If you would like to find out more about the programme, please click on the link and complete the form. One of our consultants will contact you :) http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsHospitalityFulltime/index.php

Bongani
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 11/24/2014 - 08:36

Hi i would like to know how to apply for the scholarship because i cant go to tertiary due to some cash injection problems so i was wondering if you can help me?

Submitted by hotelschool on Fri, 11/28/2014 - 16:18

Hi Bongani thank you for contacting us, as we are registered you can study with us through a loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. If you would like one of our consultants to contact you regarding our programmes, please click on the link and complete the form and we will contact you http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsHospitalityFulltime/index.php

George
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 11/11/2014 - 23:37

ssistance with information regarding people who can help me with institutional funds to enroll in chef course in 2015. I have a number of colleges which i have information about already,but my biggest problem is funding my studies next year. I want to enroll for this course because i have a passion in cookery and would like to persue my dream of becoming a chef one day. I also would like a stable carrer in something i love doing which is everything to do with food specialty in the kitchen. I promise to work hard in achieving my dream and in studying next year if i get the funds that

Submitted by hotelschool on Fri, 11/14/2014 - 16:26

Hi George thank you for contacting us, as we are a private institution we don’t have in-house loans but students can study with us via a student loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. Please click on the link and complete the form, one of our consultants will contact you to explain how student loans work http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsCulinaryArts/index.php

Ayanda
Submitted by Ayanda junior Kunene on Mon, 11/03/2014 - 20:15

Hi id like to apply but also get a scholarship cause i cannot afford tuition due to recent circumstances. Can you help me any way what so ever??

Submitted by hotelschool on Tue, 11/11/2014 - 17:36

Hi Ayanda you can study with us through a loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. Please click on the link and complete the form and a consultant will contact you http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsHospitalityFulltime/index.php

thulani
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 11/03/2014 - 14:05

Hi. .I'm thulani..do you guys have bursary for people who are in need. ...I studied hospitality at school. ..right now working as chef assistant....I just want an opportunity to further my studies. ..if you guys have bursary ,please email me the application form..

Submitted by hotelschool on Tue, 11/11/2014 - 17:39

Hi Thulani thank you f or contacting us, our bursary competition is only open to students who are currently in matric and the competition is closed for 2014. You can study with us through a loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. Please click on the link and complete the form and a consultant will contact you http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsHospitalityFulltime/index.php

Mandla
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/08/2014 - 03:45

ok my name Mandla from kwa mashu, i realy need to be chef. What do i have to do? Does it need matric?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 10/13/2014 - 08:19

Hi Mandla thank you for contacting us. We offer a variety of programmes for students who want to be a chef. Please fill in your contact details in the link and a consultant will contact you http://www.hotelschool.co.za/.../ihsHospitality.../index.php

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 01/12/2014 - 19:23

Hey There ..I'm Louisa currently 16 and I really want to become a chef,I just want to know which subjects I should have in order to persue my dream of becoming a chef ,without any knowledge of that I took Hospitality,Tourism,Business and Life Science Should I continue on or drop some?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 02/18/2014 - 02:32

hiii ...my name is asif and I m from India and I want to become a chef ....right now I m pursuing my hotel management from I.h.m meerut .....is there any chance for me get admit .....in this

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 01/07/2014 - 18:08

Hi, is this avaiable for 2014,
Regards
Rashma

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 01/22/2014 - 04:05

I am 20 n I haven't done my matric because I really have difficulties in studying but I really have a passion for cooking and I would love to know if its possible for me to study at ukusasa school of cooking for 2014 please I am really desperate

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 02/12/2014 - 11:12

Hi I'm 21 years old and would like to know if you still have space for this year and how can one apply to study this year.I stay in Johannesburg.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 01/19/2014 - 20:53

Can I apply if I don't have a matric certificate and will I be able to study part time.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 02/07/2014 - 07:39

Hi my name is dimakatso I'm 32 year.I was currently wonder if you stil got space for this year leaners .I have grade 11 without matric.

Submitted by seangunn on Wed, 02/12/2014 - 07:16

Hi there Dimakatso,
Thank you for contacting us. There are various options available to you so please leave me your contact details and tell me which campus you would like to attend either Durban, Cape Town or Sandton and I shall ask a consultant to call you back so you can discuss this with them.
Thank you.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 01/02/2014 - 00:16

Is this offer still available for 2014?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 02/17/2014 - 07:42

Hi there I'm karabo and I love cooking n wish to follow my dream as a chef I stay in jhb n I'm 27 I want to knw if you can help me take my passion of cooking to a professional level any advice is welcome but I don't hv funds to study thnx my email is karabo.popane@gmail.com

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 11/04/2013 - 12:28

Hi there,i'm from North West in Rustenburg,i've completed my matric in 2011.after matric I've never got a chance to go to school because i didn't know what to study by then.So I've started working as a waiter at sun city hotel and know i am a pastry chef at sun city main Hotel.i think time allows me now to study ...so i would like to know how do i apply to be on your team

Submitted by seangunn on Thu, 11/14/2013 - 07:14

Hi there Thato,
You are able to study with us. We have the Christina Martin Culinary Arts Programme as well as Traineeship in Professional Cookery. Please email me your contact details and which campus you would prefer to attend - either in Durban, Cape Town or Johannesburg - and I shall ask a consultant to call you back. Here is my email: seang@hotelschool.co.za

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 01/16/2014 - 22:59

Hi I'm luchelle I'm turning 17 this year april I'm very interest in becoming a chef, I work during school holidays at resturants and I would like to know if wil beable to apply this year for next year when I'm in matric I'm doing accounting ,economics ,business studies ,maths literacy and life n orientation I was wondering if I qualify?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 01/13/2014 - 20:06

hi, i'd like to know if ti can also apply? i'm 33 years old and love to cook. i'm not in the industry but like to make a start.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 12/11/2013 - 14:11

Good day I'm a 31 year old and cooking is what I'm best at I would like to find out were I can get an application form I'm very interested and I'm from soweto

Regards Mandy

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 01/10/2014 - 21:16

Hi I finished grade 12 in 2012 I would love to study in field of culinary recently move to cape town no parents or other family due to a number of circumstances would like to know is there any financial aid for students who just can't seem to pay 4 they studies I would really love to become a professional chef because food is my biggest passion and becoming a chef is a life long dream of mine if any1 can help I would appreciate it

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 02/18/2014 - 12:29

i there my name it nokuthula, I would like to know are you still enrolling for this year cause I want to apply. And if it yes where are you based at in durban

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 01/09/2014 - 11:20

I would love to be part of this programme do l still have the opportunity to enroll.

Submitted by seangunn on Wed, 02/19/2014 - 15:53

Hi there,
Thank you for contacting us.
Please give me your contact details and I shall ask a consultant from the Sandton Campus to call you back about the programmes.
The International Hotel School.

Submitted by seangunn on Wed, 02/19/2014 - 15:28

Hi there Nokuthula,
Thank you for contacting us.
Our Campus is in 124 Jan Hofmeyr Drive next to Westville Boys High School. I have sent you all the information about the various programmes we offer for you to go through as well as our Application Form. If you wish to speak to a consultant then please feel free to leave your contact details and a consultant will gladly call you back.
The International Hotel School.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 10/21/2013 - 13:27

I know of an underpriviledged young man who is really battling at high school to the extent that the high school recommends moving him to a practical college.
This young man has an extreme passion to be a Chef but given his circumstances he will simply not be able to afford the cost of such.
Please coud you help with contact details for Ikusasa in the Cape so that I can make his dream a reality.
Thank you.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 09/19/2013 - 12:14

hi,am in second year in linguistic but i really want to become a chef,have always like to cook and my future dream is to become a chef,my dream right from youth day.i dont feel good been in linguistic because my dream keep coming to my heart,if i had really understand myself from the beginning,i would have become someone grate today,but never to late.i will be twenty years of age this mount.my phone number is 07060593850.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 09/02/2013 - 19:18

Hello i want to know what must i do if i want to be a chef,that is what i dream about all my life,i do science and maths at my high school do i qualify to be a chef?

Submitted by seangunn on Tue, 09/10/2013 - 13:22

Hi there Zizipho,
Thanks for contacting us. In fact, you don't actually need to have studied anything industry related in order to apply with us. if you would like to speak to a consultant then please feel free to leave me your contact details as well as which campus you would prefer to study at, either in Durban, Cape Town and Johannesburg and I shall ask them to contact you.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 08/13/2013 - 04:49

I wants to be a chef in 5star or 7star hotel so which college i must choose? please help me..
And for being chef i should choose catering..?
Please help me i need help

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 11/07/2013 - 19:37

Hi my name Ruth I like to study at your school next year but I want to study part time,it is possible?I'm 33 years old.

Pages