Registered by the Department of Education and accredited by the Council on Higher Education.
This three year diploma programme teaches the basic craft skills of hospitality as well as the management skills necessary in this dynamic and growing industry. There is equal emphasis on both academic and practical aspects. On completion of the course, students are able to succeed in a junior management position in South Africa or abroad.
This qualification is internationally recognised and is strongly favoured by the local and international hospitality industry.
Preference is given to students with a National Senior Certificate with a minimum admission points score of 25. We also require that English be taken as a first or second language. You need to score at least 4 points in English to qualify for entry into IHS full time diploma programmes.
The Hotel School will, however, consider candidates with lesser qualifications based on an entry exam, interview and approval of the Academic Board.
Industry Specific Subjects
- Hospitality Today
- F & B Management
- Bar & Beverage Management
- Food Production Theory & French Culinary Terminology
- F & B Service
- Front Office
- Housekeeping Management
- Facilities Management
- Sales & Marketing
- Basic Hotel & Restaurant Accounting
- Guest Care
- Training & Development
- Leadership Management
- Planning & Control for Food & Beverage Operations
Business Management Subjects
- Computers (ICDL)
- Tertiary Orientation
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Computers (Opera)
- Conversational French
- New Business Development
- Personal Career Preparation
- Legal Requirements
- Current Hospitality Trends
Practical Work Experience
- Food Production (Practical)
- Food & Beverage Service
- Front Office
- Work Experience Specialisation (Students own choice)
Qualifications at the end of 3rd Year
- Department of Higher Education and Training registered International Hotel School (IHS) Diploma in Hospitality Management
- American Hotel & Lodging Association Hospitality Management Diploma
- IHS Wine Service Course
The International Hotel School (IHS) reserves the right to change course content in line with SAQA requirements and international trends.
The International Hotel School looks for students who have the ability to succeed in the tough hospitality industry. Preference is given to students with a National Senior Certificate with a minimum admission points score of 25. We also require that English be taken as a first or second language. You need to score at least 4 points in English to qualify for entry into IHS Management Diploma programmes. There is also strong emphasis on good interpersonal and communications skills. Accounting is an advantage but not a prerequisite. Previous practical experience in the industry is advantageous.
To apply, complete an application form and return it to the campus of your choice with the following:
- Copies of school certificates and reports for both Grade 11 & 12
- Two passport or ID sized photographs
- Two references reflecting personal abilities, achievements, social and interpersonal traits.
Applicants will need to attend an interview before being accepted, for which there is a R100 fee. Successful applicants will be offered places in writing normally within two weeks of the final interview. Acceptance in writing by the student, signature of contracts and submission of a R5 000 non-refundable registration fee are required to confirm the place.
The International Hotel School is registered by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) as a Private Higher Education Institution as per the registration number 2000/HE07/005, so most banks will offer student loans to existing clients and their immediate family. Banks will only process an application for a loan on receipt of an acceptance letter from us. Factors that the bank takes into consideration are academic results, credit history, surety and financial records and any fixed assets, which are used as collateral against the loan. The student, parent/s or sponsor may be requested to meet with bank officials.
Accommodation – Early booking is essential
Sandton, Durban and Cape Town Campuses
- Optional accommodation is available on the campus at an additional cost – please enquire at each campus as to the cost of the accommodation.
- Accommodation provided is single or shared rooms. Senior students are given preference regarding the larger, single rooms.
- A deposit to the value of one month’s rent is required. Sponsors are required to sign a 6-month contract.
- There is a communal kitchen for the preparation of own meals.
- There is also a laundry facility.
- All rooms are furnished.
Full Time Students’ Schedule of Fees for Firsy Year (2013)
- First year tuition fees including practical training
- Programme administration
- AHLEI license and registration fees
- Option 1 – Early Payment in full 17 May 2013 ( R 56 500.00)
An initial Non-Refundable payment of R5 000 is payable on acceptance. If you elect to pay the full First Year Tuition before 17 May 2013, you will receive a rebate of R 3 000.00 on the tuition fees.
- Option 2 – Full Payment by Registration Day 17 May 2013 (R 58 000.00)
An initial Non-Refundable payment of R5 000 is payable on acceptance. If you elect to pay in two instalments as detailed below, you will receive a rebate of R 1 500.00 on the tuition fees. An initial payment of R 26 500.00 is due by 17 May 2013 and your second payment of R 26 500.00 is due on Registration Day (08 July 2013).
- Option 3 – Payment in Instalments (R 59 500.00)
An initial Non Refundable payment of R5 000 is payable on acceptance. A first payment of R 16 100.00 is due by the 17 May 2013 followed by 8 equal payments of R 4 800.00 due by the end of July 2013, August 2013, September 2013, October 2013, November 2013, December 2013, January 2014 and February 2014.
NB: the following are estimated prices and are subject to supplier’s costs and annual increases:
- Books ~ ± R8 500 *
First year text books and external Educational Institute examination and certification fees
- Uniforms ~ ± R3 500 *
Approved items of clothing are readily available at selected suppliers
Both school uniform and chef uniforms are required
- Supplementary Examinations (re-writes) per exam (internal & external) ~ ± R750 each
- ICDL supplementary examinations, per module ~ ± R200
- Stationery ~ Own cost
- Outings throughout the year (estimate only) ~ ± R500
*These are estimated prices and subject to change
For further information about our courses or to book for an interview, please phone 0861 44 33 00 or Cape Town campus: (021) 555 6000 Durban campus: (031) 267 4700 Sandton campus: (011) 804 5533
Download the course outline for the 2013 Full Time Diploma in Hospitality Management (523)