Frequently Asked Questions
How can I study at The International Hotel School?
There are several ways that you can study to become a Chef or Hospitality Manager.
- Full-time studies – These programmes consists of 50% academic (classroom) study and 50% work integrated learning (practical) which takes place in leading hospitality establishments. The programme’s equal emphasis on both academic and work integrated learning ensures that graduates are job ready. You can study Hospitality Management, Hotel Operations, Professional Cookery & Kitchen Management, or Culinary Arts by the full-time method of study. You pay a tuition fee and need to cover the costs of your transport and accommodation.
- Traineeship studies – Based on well established apprenticeship principles, a Traineeship is an “earn while you learn” alternative to full time tertiary education. Trainees are selected via a series of interviews to be trained at a Hotel (usually a distance away from each Campus). You will study via distance and online learning, whilst you are working at the Hotel and you will receive a small allowance. You pay a tuition fee and need to cover the costs of your transport and accommodation. You need your own computer with internet capability to make contact with your on-line tutors.
- IHS Online – The International Hotel School Online Campus, IHS Online is an online platform for those working in the hospitality industry to improve and update their knowledge or for those interested in studying without the commitment of attending a course full time. Online students follow a Learning Pathway and complete assignments, participate in discussion groups and are assisted by an Online tutor.
- Distance Learning/Correspondence – This is a purely distance learning method where you pay per subject (there are over 30 to choose from) and you receive the textbook and you study entirely on your own. You need to write you exam within 12 months of registering. You arrange your own experience learning or job.
What “international qualifications” do you offer?
- We are an Approved Training Centre for the City & Guilds of London. We have a 1-year Christina Martin Culinary Arts programme (City & Guilds Certificate and Diploma level) There is an optional extra year of study where you can obtain your City & Guilds Advanced Diploma in Food Preparation and Cookery Supervision and a City & Guilds Diploma in Food Preparation and Cooking (Patisserie).
- We also offer a two year programme in Hotel Operations which combines three Diplomas from City & Guilds of London: Food & Beverage Service, Reception Operations & Services and Accommodation Operations & Services.
- Our 3 year Management Diploma programs are registered with the DHET (Department of Higher Education & Training). The Diploma in Hospitality Management and the Diploma in Professional Cookery & Kitchen Management are both registered at NQF Level 6. These qualifications are recognized all round the world. When applying for a job, potential employers will contact DHET to verify your qualifications.
- In recognition of the quality of the IHS Diplomas, the American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI) award their diplomas to students who have registered with them and have passed all examinable subjects with a minimum of 70%.
Can I pay off my fees?
Yes you can. There is an initial deposit payment due when you are accepted (ranging from R2500 to R5000 depending on which course you are doing). Then you can choose from three “Payment Elections”
- Option 1: Early payment – 5% discount
- Option 2: Full Payment by registration day – 2.5% discount
- Option 3: Installment payments – Interest Free
Are there any hidden costs if I do the 3 year Diploma program?
Yes. The advertised fees are for the tuition and learning material only. You will be required to pay for your own stationery, uniforms (a suit and a chefs uniform) shoes (dress shoes and chef shoes), student socials & outings, accommodation and transport arrangements.
Do you offer bursaries?
Yes we do have 3 Full Time Bursaries available per year. Enter The International Hotel School Bursary Competition and you could win a one of three bursaries valued at R200 000 each to study full-time for THREE years at IHS (Tuition Fees only). All learners currently in Matric can enter this competition. You DO NOT have to take a Hospitality related subject at school to enter.
Do you need to have a National Senior Certificate or equivalent?
Any applicant must meet The International Hotel School’s requirements for the particular instructional programme. All 3 year Managment Diploma Programmes require a minimum of a National Senior Certificate with a Diploma Entry pass in order to enrol, subject to The International Hotel School admission and selection criteria. We do however have other programmes on offer that require a lesser Grade than a National Senior Certificate or equivalent, such as Hotel Operations, our Culinary programmes and one and two year Traineeships.
What is SAQA?
Most foreign school qualifications will be accepted for the purposes of admission to IHS but they must be evaluated first, by the South African Qualifications Authority. No foreign national may be accepted without the qualification being evaluated by SAQA first. See “Foreign Qualifications Evaluation and Advisory Service”.
Will you you help me to obtain a study visa and what are the requirements?
A foreign student may be registered as a student at a South African Educational Institute after having obtained a study permit from the South African Embassy or Mission in the student’s home country. Upon acceptance, the prospective student needs to pay their initial non-refundable deposit to verify their intention to study with The International Hotel School. Visa Letters will only then be issued by the relevant campus. Please note that applying for a student Visa is a totally external process as it happens in the applicants home country and therefore we are unable to assist in this regard. We suggest you go through an agent if you need assistance in this regard. For more information on international applications, click here.