For all the aspirant Chefs out there – The International Hotel School is pleased to announce that the prestigious Christina Martin Culinary Arts programme has been incorporated into The International Hotel School programme offerings. This one year intensive cookery course provides students with the relevant theory, background and practical cookery skills ideal for those wishing to make their career in the field of professional cookery.
The course will be offered in all our campuses and practical training will take place at leading restaurants in the greater Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg areas. The International Hotel School will place students in hotels or restaurants for the experiential learning element.
The course structure includes theory and practical cookery lessons at our campuses, the remaining time is spent in a restaurant or hotel kitchen gaining knowledge and skills on the job from industry experts. Upon completion of the course, students will have spent 6 months on campus concentrating on skills training and the academic component and then 6 months in a leading restaurant, gaining the vital kitchen experience needed. This is done in 3 month block rotations.
This programme is NQF (National Qualification Framework) aligned; some of the learning outcomes are:
- Hot and cold fruit dishes
- Basic meat, poultry and game
- Basic sauces and soups
- Fish and Shellfish dishes
- Vegetarian dishes
- Pastry dishes
- Pasta dishes
- Cooking and service cold preparation dishes
- Egg dishes and savouries
- Sandwiches and rolls
- Rice Dishes
- Basic Dough Dishes
- Hygiene in the Kitchen
- Storage of food, equipment and utensils
- Handle and maintain knives
- Menu Planning
- Budgeting and cost control
- Food Safety
- Safety at work
- Kitchen maintenance and design
- Telephone Skills
- Customer Care
- Communication Skills
- Personal Grooming
- Product Knowledge
- On the job Coaching
- Staff Induction and orientation
- Basic Calculations
- First Aid
- CATHSSETA – National Qualifications Certificate in Professional Cookery (Level 4)
- City & Guilds Certificate in Food Preparation and Cooking
- City & Guilds Diploma in Food Preparation and Cooking (Culinary Arts)
- IHS Wine Service Course
- Basic Fire Fighting Certificate
- Basic First Aid Certificate
Minimum Entry Requirement:
- Grade 10, although a Senior Certificate is recommended
- 1 year
- Course begins early June 2013 and again ends in June 2014
R63 000.00 and includes all learning material, uniforms, chef’s knives, examination fees, South African Chef’s Association Intermediate Membership. (Excludes supplementary examinations).
- Option 1 – Early Payment in 17th May 2013 (R59 800.00)
An initial Non-Refundable payment of R5 000 is payable on acceptance. If full payment of the balance of R 54 800.00 is made by 17th May 2013, a rebate of R 3 200.00 is awarded.
- Option 2 – Full Payment by Registration Day (R61 400.00)
An initial Non-Refundable payment of R5 000 is payable on acceptance. An initial payment of R 28 200.00 is due by 17th May 2013. Your second payment of R 28 200.00 is due on Registration Day (24th June 2013) and payment of these two equal sums as mentioned above will qualify you for a rebate of R 1 600.00 off the tuition fees.
- Option 3 – Late Payment in Instalments
An initial Non Refundable payment of R5 000 is payable on acceptance. A first payment of R 15 200.00 is due by the 17th May 2013 followed by 8 equal payments of R 5 350.00 due by the end of July 2013, August 2013, September 2013, October 2013, November 2013, December 2013, January 2014 and February 2014.
To provide an opportunity for further study, a career pathway has been mapped for those who wish to continue their studies. These programmes can be done individually or all during the same year. These can be done at any time after completion of 1st year of study.
- City & Guilds Diploma in Patisserie
- City & Guilds Advanced Diploma in Culinary Arts
Accommodation – Early booking is essential
- Optional accommodation is available on the campus at an additional cost – please enquire at each campus as to the cost of the accommodation.
- Accommodation provided is single or shared rooms. Senior students are given preference regarding the larger, single rooms.
- A deposit to the value of one month’s rent is required. Sponsors are required to sign a 6month contract.
- There is a communal kitchen for the preparation of own meals.
- There is also a student/visitor’s lounge and a laundry facility
- All rooms are fully furnished
The International Hotel School is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), something very few, if any, other culinary schools are able to claim.
For more information about our courses or to book for an interview, please phone 0861 44 33 00 or Cape Town campus: (021) 555 6000 Durban campus: (031) 267 4700 Sandton campus: (011) 804 5533
Download the course outline for the 2013 Christina Martin Culinary Arts Programme (338).