So you think you can be a chef?

Have you heard about Ikusasa? Ikusasa School of Cooking is a fantastic social upliftment initiative which gives young people who:

1. Can’t afford tertiary education…
  2. Have learning difficulties…
  3. Have an underprivileged background…

…an opportunity for a successful career in the hospitality industry.

Basically, Ikusasa grants opportunities for a great future to young people who may otherwise not have had much in the way of prospects.

Who’s behind the project?Ikusasa school of cooking

Ikusasa offers a one year chef’s training course custom designed and created by The International Hotel School and accredited by City and Guilds. This is a respected hospitality qualification recognised around the world. The course is also supported by Chaine des Rotisseurs Foundation Trust, an international food and wine society as well as a number of other sponsors.

How does the course work?

Ten students are chosen from the group of applicants.

The course is one year long and the curriculum looks like this:

1. IHS Basic Cooking Skills course
2. City & Guilds: Skills Foundation Certificate in basic food preparation (first six months)
3. City & Guilds: Skills Proficiency Certificate in basic food preparation (second six months)

Each week the trainee chefs have three days of training at the Ikusasa training kitchen and three days of practical and experiential learning in hotel kitchens. They have one day off a week.

Another awesome bonus is that students are guaranteed a job upon completion of their course.

Class of 2010

“Meet” the budding chefs of 2010 and check them out having a jol in the kitchen!

A priceless education

Do you know how much it costs to become a qualified chef? Yes, munchos dolleros. R100 000. Per year. The price of a small car. So, what does it cost for a year’s training and qualification at Ikusasa School of Cooking?

Nothing.

Ikusasa is a social upliftment project. The cost of running the school is taken care of by various sponsors.

Ikusasa sponsors

The people who make it all possible are the good folk at:

• The International Hotel School
• City & Guilds
• Chaine des Rotisseries Foundation Trust

A number of other generous sponsors are also involved.

Grab your opportunity for 2011

Applications for Ikusasa’s 2011 class are open and the deadline is July 15th 2010. Download application forms here.
Diploma in Hospitality Management (1074)

The International Hotel School and its partners are proud to be training the culinary stars of tomorrow and look forward to giving them a bright future in the hospitality industry. Is this your chance to be one of them? Don’t miss out!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Enter your email below to join our mailing list!

Discuss: “So you think you can be a chef?”

1. July 21, 2010 at 11:36 am #

what if i just found this now??
    but i really have a passion for it ??
    can i stil apply?????????????????

Posted by debra
  2. August 5, 2010 at 8:30 am #

Hi Debra
    I have spoken to Chef Sean and you can still apply. Download the application form and send it to him at:
    seanw@christinamartin.co.za

Posted by International Hotel School
  3. May 3, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

I cnt wait for nxt year so i can apply .So if u done wit th course who finds u th job?

Posted by wazi
  4. August 6, 2011 at 12:10 am #

Hi im currently doing level 4 in the FET college can i apply to study at IHS. This is my third year at the college some of my subjects include food preparations, Hospitality generics, Hospitality service and Human Relations And client Service. then i also do maths litracy , life oriantation and english. those the subject iam studing qualify me to appy at IHS?

Posted by xolani
  5. August 19, 2011 at 9:08 am #

hi, i just turned 15and realy havea pation for the kitchen. All i want to know is how old must a person be to apply, and would itbe possible for me to apply to start next year?

Posted by Safeera
  6. August 19, 2011 at 9:17 am #

Hi Xolani. You can apply at IHS, no problem, as we do have some courses which would be applicable. I would suggest that you email your details to info@hotelschool.co.za and say which campus you are interested in and then I will get them to contact you and give you all the options available to you.

Posted by International Hotel School
  7. August 19, 2011 at 9:20 am #

Hi Safeera. Unfortunately you would need to be 18 in your first year of study in order to do the course, so sadly you would not be able to apply next year – but you can apply when you are 17.

Posted by International Hotel School
  8. April 26, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

Hy I will like to know when can I apply.to part of the team

Posted by sydney
  9. May 29, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Hi ther I’m 21 years old I just saw this. School now …I’m interest. I hv a passion for cooking …as I’m busy look for FET dat do hospitality plz help me …Phakamisagcobo@gmail.com

Posted by phakamisa gcobo
  10. July 13, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

Do you need matric to study at IHS?

Posted by carvin
  11. July 16, 2013 at 4:45 pm #

Hi, I am a matriculant in Klerksdorp north west and I would really like to be a part of the Ikusasa school of cooking. I enjoy cooking and I have a passion for it. I want to know how exactly do I apply and what are the requirements and conditions

Posted by lehlohonolo
    • July 18, 2013 at 11:45 am #

Hi there Lehlohonolo,
      Thank you for contacting us about Ikusasa School of Cooking. Here is their contact details: Michael at Saint Martins: 031 201 1261. He will be able to answer your questions and send you the application form.
      Good luck

Posted by Sean
  12. August 13, 2013 at 4:49 am #

I wants to be a chef in 5star or 7star hotel so which college i must choose? please help me..
    And for being chef i should choose catering..?
    Please help me i need help

Posted by Chaitanya
  13. September 2, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Hello i want to know what must i do if i want to be a chef,that is what i dream about all my life,i do science and maths at my high school do i qualify to be a chef?

Posted by Zizipho dano
    • September 10, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Hi there Zizipho,
      Thanks for contacting us. In fact, you don’t actually need to have studied anything industry related in order to apply with us. if you would like to speak to a consultant then please feel free to leave me your contact details as well as which campus you would prefer to study at, either in Durban, Cape Town and Johannesburg and I shall ask them to contact you.

Posted by Sean
  14. September 12, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

I there I am 16 years old I am battling in school If I fail this year I won’t be allowed back into a school I would like to know if you need a matric to study or go to a cooking school? I am desperate

Posted by darryn
  15. September 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

hi,am in second year in linguistic but i really want to become a chef,have always like to cook and my future dream is to become a chef,my dream right from youth day.i dont feel good been in linguistic because my dream keep coming to my heart,if i had really understand myself from the beginning,i would have become someone grate today,but never to late.i will be twenty years of age this mount.my phone number is 07060593850.

Posted by oyelakin oyetunji habeeb
  16. October 21, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

I know of an underpriviledged young man who is really battling at high school to the extent that the high school recommends moving him to a practical college.
    This young man has an extreme passion to be a Chef but given his circumstances he will simply not be able to afford the cost of such.
    Please coud you help with contact details for Ikusasa in the Cape so that I can make his dream a reality.
    Thank you.

Posted by Tracey
  17. November 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

Hi there,i’m from North West in Rustenburg,i’ve completed my matric in 2011.after matric I’ve never got a chance to go to school because i didn’t know what to study by then.So I’ve started working as a waiter at sun city hotel and know i am a pastry chef at sun city main Hotel.i think time allows me now to study …so i would like to know how do i apply to be on your team

Posted by Thato Gracious segone
    • November 14, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Hi there Thato,
      You are able to study with us. We have the Christina Martin Culinary Arts Programme as well as Traineeship in Professional Cookery. Please email me your contact details and which campus you would prefer to attend – either in Durban, Cape Town or Johannesburg – and I shall ask a consultant to call you back. Here is my email: seang@hotelschool.co.za

Posted by Sean
  18. November 7, 2013 at 7:37 pm #

Hi my name Ruth I like to study at your school next year but I want to study part time,it is possible?I’m 33 years old.

Posted by ruth montsho
    • November 14, 2013 at 7:15 am #

Hello Ruth,
      You most certainly can study with us. We have Night Courses, Short Courses and Distance Learning Courses. Please send me your details to my email address and I shall ask the consultants to send you all the information. My email is: seang@hotelschool.co.za

Posted by Sean
  19. November 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

Good day, I would love to study further to become a chef – I have already completed the City & Guilds Basic Skills and Proficiency Skills Certification and I would like to continue my studies at a professional culinary school but I am unsure of the costs for it and was wondering if there is a different scholarship or something else available that I could possibly apply for?

Posted by Luzaan
  20. December 11, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Good day I’m a 31 year old and cooking is what I’m best at I would like to find out were I can get an application form I’m very interested and I’m from soweto

Regards Mandy

Posted by mandy
  21. January 2, 2014 at 12:16 am #

Is this offer still available for 2014?

Posted by Ethel
  22. January 7, 2014 at 6:08 pm #

Hi, is this avaiable for 2014,
    Regards
    Rashma

Posted by Rashma Dayaram
  23. January 9, 2014 at 11:20 am #

I would love to be part of this programme do l still have the opportunity to enroll.

Posted by caroline
  24. January 10, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Hi I finished grade 12 in 2012 I would love to study in field of culinary recently move to cape town no parents or other family due to a number of circumstances would like to know is there any financial aid for students who just can’t seem to pay 4 they studies I would really love to become a professional chef because food is my biggest passion and becoming a chef is a life long dream of mine if any1 can help I would appreciate it

Posted by Dominic
  25. January 12, 2014 at 7:23 pm #

Hey There ..I’m Louisa currently 16 and I really want to become a chef,I just want to know which subjects I should have in order to persue my dream of becoming a chef ,without any knowledge of that I took Hospitality,Tourism,Business and Life Science Should I continue on or drop some?

Posted by louisa
  26. January 13, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

hi, i’d like to know if ti can also apply? i’m 33 years old and love to cook. i’m not in the industry but like to make a start.

Posted by Louie
  27. January 16, 2014 at 10:59 pm #

Hi I’m luchelle I’m turning 17 this year april I’m very interest in becoming a chef, I work during school holidays at resturants and I would like to know if wil beable to apply this year for next year when I’m in matric I’m doing accounting ,economics ,business studies ,maths literacy and life n orientation I was wondering if I qualify?

Posted by luchelle
  28. January 19, 2014 at 8:53 pm #

Can I apply if I don’t have a matric certificate and will I be able to study part time.

Posted by ntombi
  29. January 22, 2014 at 4:05 am #

I am 20 n I haven’t done my matric because I really have difficulties in studying but I really have a passion for cooking and I would love to know if its possible for me to study at ukusasa school of cooking for 2014 please I am really desperate

Posted by lehlohonolo
  30. February 7, 2014 at 7:39 am #

Hi my name is dimakatso I’m 32 year.I was currently wonder if you stil got space for this year leaners .I have grade 11 without matric.

Posted by dimakatso mohoto
    • February 12, 2014 at 7:16 am #

Hi there Dimakatso,
      Thank you for contacting us. There are various options available to you so please leave me your contact details and tell me which campus you would like to attend either Durban, Cape Town or Sandton and I shall ask a consultant to call you back so you can discuss this with them.
      Thank you.

Posted by Sean
  31. February 12, 2014 at 11:12 am #

Hi I’m 21 years old and would like to know if you still have space for this year and how can one apply to study this year.I stay in Johannesburg.

Posted by lwenene Mdanyana
  32. February 17, 2014 at 7:42 am #

Hi there I’m karabo and I love cooking n wish to follow my dream as a chef I stay in jhb n I’m 27 I want to knw if you can help me take my passion of cooking to a professional level any advice is welcome but I don’t hv funds to study thnx my email is karabo.popane@gmail.com

Posted by karabo popane
    • February 19, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

Hi there,
      Thank you for contacting us.
      Please give me your contact details and I shall ask a consultant from the Sandton Campus to call you back about the programmes.
      The International Hotel School.

Posted by The International Hotel School
  33. February 18, 2014 at 2:32 am #

hiii …my name is asif and I m from India and I want to become a chef ….right now I m pursuing my hotel management from I.h.m meerut …..is there any chance for me get admit …..in this

Posted by asif saifi
  34. February 18, 2014 at 12:29 pm #

i there my name it nokuthula, I would like to know are you still enrolling for this year cause I want to apply. And if it yes where are you based at in durban

Posted by nokuthula
  35. February 19, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

Hi there Nokuthula,
    Thank you for contacting us.
    Our Campus is in 124 Jan Hofmeyr Drive next to Westville Boys High School. I have sent you all the information about the various programmes we offer for you to go through as well as our Application Form. If you wish to speak to a consultant then please feel free to leave your contact details and a consultant will gladly call you back.
    The International Hotel School.

Posted by The International Hotel School
  36. March 18, 2014 at 11:03 pm #

Hello there, I would love to be a chef but I don’t have money to study can u help me?

Posted by Nosipho
    • April 4, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

Hi Nosipho we have a one year Specialization certificate that you can apply to study with us. One of our consultants will contact you

Posted by The International Hotel School
  37. March 27, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

Hi I whould like to know if I can apply still for 2014 please I really whant to do this

Posted by porcia
  38. April 4, 2014 at 12:31 pm #

Hi Portia yes you can still apply for our 2014 June intake, one of our consultants will be contacting you to help you further

Posted by The International Hotel School
  39. April 7, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

hi i am looking foeward to be chef,please help me on how should apply for 2014 june intake,i really really want to do this,,please reply or email me to terrence.selokela@gmail.com or call me to 0732495839 please

Posted by Dimakotso
  40. April 8, 2014 at 9:54 am #

my name iz zamokwakhe i would like to know if i can apply still for 2014 please i real wanna do this

Posted by zamokwakhe dube
    • April 11, 2014 at 11:27 am #

Hi Zamokwakhe yes you can still study for 2014 June intake, one of our consultants will send you information

Posted by The International Hotel School
  41. April 9, 2014 at 7:05 am #

Hey,may I please ask. I’m in grade 10 right now,so will it be possible for me to apply 2017?

Posted by Bophelo
    • April 11, 2014 at 11:22 am #

Hi Bophelo yes you can apply in 2017, I would suggest that you attend on of our open days so you can have a better knowledge on our school and the qualifications we have

Posted by The International Hotel School
  42. April 9, 2014 at 11:00 pm #

Hi could you please tell me how do I attend a course in cape town and can I still enroll. 32 male. Is the one year course free. Please assist thank you

Posted by Mogamat
  43. April 11, 2014 at 11:18 am #

Hi there Our Cape Town campus consultants will contact you and discuss the process for our one year traineeships

Posted by The International Hotel School