So you think you can be a chef?

Hotel School | 13 July 2010

Have you heard about Ikusasa? Ikusasa School of Cooking is a fantastic social upliftment initiative which gives young people who:

1. Can’t afford tertiary education...
  2. Have learning difficulties...
  3. Have an underprivileged background...

...an opportunity for a successful career in the hospitality industry.

Basically, Ikusasa grants opportunities for a great future to young people who may otherwise not have had much in the way of prospects.

Who’s behind the project?Ikusasa school of cooking

Ikusasa offers a one year chef’s training course custom designed and created by The International Hotel School and accredited by City and Guilds. This is a respected hospitality qualification recognised around the world. The course is also supported by Chaine des Rotisseurs Foundation Trust, an international food and wine society as well as a number of other sponsors.

How does the course work?

Ten students are chosen from the group of applicants.

The course is one year long and the curriculum looks like this:

1. IHS Basic Cooking Skills course
2. City & Guilds: Skills Foundation Certificate in basic food preparation (first six months)
3. City & Guilds: Skills Proficiency Certificate in basic food preparation (second six months)

Each week the trainee chefs have three days of training at the Ikusasa training kitchen and three days of practical and experiential learning in hotel kitchens. They have one day off a week.

Another awesome bonus is that students are guaranteed a job upon completion of their course.

Class of 2010

“Meet” the budding chefs of 2010 and check them out having a jol in the kitchen!

A priceless education

Do you know how much it costs to become a qualified chef? Yes, munchos dolleros. R100 000. Per year. The price of a small car. So, what does it cost for a year’s training and qualification at Ikusasa School of Cooking?

Nothing.

Ikusasa is a social upliftment project. The cost of running the school is taken care of by various sponsors.

Ikusasa sponsors

The people who make it all possible are the good folk at:

• The International Hotel School
• City & Guilds
• Chaine des Rotisseries Foundation Trust

A number of other generous sponsors are also involved.

Grab your opportunity for 2011

Applications for Ikusasa’s 2011 class are open and the deadline is July 15th 2010. Download application forms here.
[download id="2"]

The International Hotel School and its partners are proud to be training the culinary stars of tomorrow and look forward to giving them a bright future in the hospitality industry. Is this your chance to be one of them? Don’t miss out!

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Comments

Name:
George
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 11/11/2014 - 23:37

ssistance with information regarding people who can help me with institutional funds to enroll in chef course in 2015. I have a number of colleges which i have information about already,but my biggest problem is funding my studies next year. I want to enroll for this course because i have a passion in cookery and would like to persue my dream of becoming a chef one day. I also would like a stable carrer in something i love doing which is everything to do with food specialty in the kitchen. I promise to work hard in achieving my dream and in studying next year if i get the funds that

Name:
International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on Fri, 11/14/2014 - 16:26

Hi George thank you for contacting us, as we are a private institution we don’t have in-house loans but students can study with us via a student loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. Please click on the link and complete the form, one of our consultants will contact you to explain how student loans work http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsCulinaryArts/index.php

Name:
Ayanda
Submitted by Ayanda junior Kunene on Mon, 11/03/2014 - 20:15

Hi id like to apply but also get a scholarship cause i cannot afford tuition due to recent circumstances. Can you help me any way what so ever??

Name:
International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on Tue, 11/11/2014 - 17:36

Hi Ayanda you can study with us through a loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. Please click on the link and complete the form and a consultant will contact you http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsHospitalityFulltime/index.php

Name:
thulani
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 11/03/2014 - 14:05

Hi. .I'm thulani..do you guys have bursary for people who are in need. ...I studied hospitality at school. ..right now working as chef assistant....I just want an opportunity to further my studies. ..if you guys have bursary ,please email me the application form..

Name:
International Hotel School
Submitted by hotelschool on Tue, 11/11/2014 - 17:39

Hi Thulani thank you f or contacting us, our bursary competition is only open to students who are currently in matric and the competition is closed for 2014. You can study with us through a loan from any of the major banks in SA or Eduloan. Please click on the link and complete the form and a consultant will contact you http://www.hotelschool.co.za/g/ihsHospitalityFulltime/index.php

Name:
Mandla
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/08/2014 - 03:45

ok my name Mandla from kwa mashu, i realy need to be chef. What do i have to do? Does it need matric?

Name:
International Hotel School
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 10/13/2014 - 08:19

Hi Mandla thank you for contacting us. We offer a variety of programmes for students who want to be a chef. Please fill in your contact details in the link and a consultant will contact you http://www.hotelschool.co.za/.../ihsHospitality.../index.php

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 01/12/2014 - 19:23

Hey There ..I'm Louisa currently 16 and I really want to become a chef,I just want to know which subjects I should have in order to persue my dream of becoming a chef ,without any knowledge of that I took Hospitality,Tourism,Business and Life Science Should I continue on or drop some?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 02/18/2014 - 02:32

hiii ...my name is asif and I m from India and I want to become a chef ....right now I m pursuing my hotel management from I.h.m meerut .....is there any chance for me get admit .....in this

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 01/07/2014 - 18:08

Hi, is this avaiable for 2014,
Regards
Rashma

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 01/22/2014 - 04:05

I am 20 n I haven't done my matric because I really have difficulties in studying but I really have a passion for cooking and I would love to know if its possible for me to study at ukusasa school of cooking for 2014 please I am really desperate

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 02/12/2014 - 11:12

Hi I'm 21 years old and would like to know if you still have space for this year and how can one apply to study this year.I stay in Johannesburg.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 01/19/2014 - 20:53

Can I apply if I don't have a matric certificate and will I be able to study part time.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 02/07/2014 - 07:39

Hi my name is dimakatso I'm 32 year.I was currently wonder if you stil got space for this year leaners .I have grade 11 without matric.

Submitted by seangunn on Wed, 02/12/2014 - 07:16

Hi there Dimakatso,
Thank you for contacting us. There are various options available to you so please leave me your contact details and tell me which campus you would like to attend either Durban, Cape Town or Sandton and I shall ask a consultant to call you back so you can discuss this with them.
Thank you.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 01/02/2014 - 00:16

Is this offer still available for 2014?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 02/17/2014 - 07:42

Hi there I'm karabo and I love cooking n wish to follow my dream as a chef I stay in jhb n I'm 27 I want to knw if you can help me take my passion of cooking to a professional level any advice is welcome but I don't hv funds to study thnx my email is karabo.popane@gmail.com

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 11/04/2013 - 12:28

Hi there,i'm from North West in Rustenburg,i've completed my matric in 2011.after matric I've never got a chance to go to school because i didn't know what to study by then.So I've started working as a waiter at sun city hotel and know i am a pastry chef at sun city main Hotel.i think time allows me now to study ...so i would like to know how do i apply to be on your team

Submitted by seangunn on Thu, 11/14/2013 - 07:14

Hi there Thato,
You are able to study with us. We have the Christina Martin Culinary Arts Programme as well as Traineeship in Professional Cookery. Please email me your contact details and which campus you would prefer to attend - either in Durban, Cape Town or Johannesburg - and I shall ask a consultant to call you back. Here is my email: seang@hotelschool.co.za

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 01/16/2014 - 22:59

Hi I'm luchelle I'm turning 17 this year april I'm very interest in becoming a chef, I work during school holidays at resturants and I would like to know if wil beable to apply this year for next year when I'm in matric I'm doing accounting ,economics ,business studies ,maths literacy and life n orientation I was wondering if I qualify?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 01/13/2014 - 20:06

hi, i'd like to know if ti can also apply? i'm 33 years old and love to cook. i'm not in the industry but like to make a start.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 12/11/2013 - 14:11

Good day I'm a 31 year old and cooking is what I'm best at I would like to find out were I can get an application form I'm very interested and I'm from soweto

Regards Mandy

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 01/10/2014 - 21:16

Hi I finished grade 12 in 2012 I would love to study in field of culinary recently move to cape town no parents or other family due to a number of circumstances would like to know is there any financial aid for students who just can't seem to pay 4 they studies I would really love to become a professional chef because food is my biggest passion and becoming a chef is a life long dream of mine if any1 can help I would appreciate it

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 02/18/2014 - 12:29

i there my name it nokuthula, I would like to know are you still enrolling for this year cause I want to apply. And if it yes where are you based at in durban

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 01/09/2014 - 11:20

I would love to be part of this programme do l still have the opportunity to enroll.

Submitted by seangunn on Wed, 02/19/2014 - 15:53

Hi there,
Thank you for contacting us.
Please give me your contact details and I shall ask a consultant from the Sandton Campus to call you back about the programmes.
The International Hotel School.

Submitted by seangunn on Wed, 02/19/2014 - 15:28

Hi there Nokuthula,
Thank you for contacting us.
Our Campus is in 124 Jan Hofmeyr Drive next to Westville Boys High School. I have sent you all the information about the various programmes we offer for you to go through as well as our Application Form. If you wish to speak to a consultant then please feel free to leave your contact details and a consultant will gladly call you back.
The International Hotel School.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 10/21/2013 - 13:27

I know of an underpriviledged young man who is really battling at high school to the extent that the high school recommends moving him to a practical college.
This young man has an extreme passion to be a Chef but given his circumstances he will simply not be able to afford the cost of such.
Please coud you help with contact details for Ikusasa in the Cape so that I can make his dream a reality.
Thank you.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 09/19/2013 - 12:14

hi,am in second year in linguistic but i really want to become a chef,have always like to cook and my future dream is to become a chef,my dream right from youth day.i dont feel good been in linguistic because my dream keep coming to my heart,if i had really understand myself from the beginning,i would have become someone grate today,but never to late.i will be twenty years of age this mount.my phone number is 07060593850.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 09/02/2013 - 19:18

Hello i want to know what must i do if i want to be a chef,that is what i dream about all my life,i do science and maths at my high school do i qualify to be a chef?

Submitted by seangunn on Tue, 09/10/2013 - 13:22

Hi there Zizipho,
Thanks for contacting us. In fact, you don't actually need to have studied anything industry related in order to apply with us. if you would like to speak to a consultant then please feel free to leave me your contact details as well as which campus you would prefer to study at, either in Durban, Cape Town and Johannesburg and I shall ask them to contact you.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 08/13/2013 - 04:49

I wants to be a chef in 5star or 7star hotel so which college i must choose? please help me..
And for being chef i should choose catering..?
Please help me i need help

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 11/07/2013 - 19:37

Hi my name Ruth I like to study at your school next year but I want to study part time,it is possible?I'm 33 years old.

Submitted by seangunn on Thu, 11/14/2013 - 07:15

Hello Ruth,
You most certainly can study with us. We have Night Courses, Short Courses and Distance Learning Courses. Please send me your details to my email address and I shall ask the consultants to send you all the information. My email is: seang@hotelschool.co.za

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 11/27/2013 - 16:25

Good day, I would love to study further to become a chef - I have already completed the City & Guilds Basic Skills and Proficiency Skills Certification and I would like to continue my studies at a professional culinary school but I am unsure of the costs for it and was wondering if there is a different scholarship or something else available that I could possibly apply for?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 05/29/2013 - 09:40

Hi ther I'm 21 years old I just saw this. School now ...I'm interest. I hv a passion for cooking ...as I'm busy look for FET dat do hospitality plz help me ...Phakamisagcobo@gmail.com

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 07/16/2013 - 16:45

Hi, I am a matriculant in Klerksdorp north west and I would really like to be a part of the Ikusasa school of cooking. I enjoy cooking and I have a passion for it. I want to know how exactly do I apply and what are the requirements and conditions

Submitted by seangunn on Thu, 07/18/2013 - 11:45

Hi there Lehlohonolo,
Thank you for contacting us about Ikusasa School of Cooking. Here is their contact details: Michael at Saint Martins: 031 201 1261. He will be able to answer your questions and send you the application form.
Good luck

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 07/13/2013 - 22:52

Do you need matric to study at IHS?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 09/12/2013 - 17:45

I there I am 16 years old I am battling in school If I fail this year I won't be allowed back into a school I would like to know if you need a matric to study or go to a cooking school? I am desperate

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/26/2012 - 23:02

Hy I will like to know when can I apply.to part of the team

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 08/19/2011 - 09:20

Hi Safeera. Unfortunately you would need to be 18 in your first year of study in order to do the course, so sadly you would not be able to apply next year - but you can apply when you are 17.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 08/19/2011 - 09:17

Hi Xolani. You can apply at IHS, no problem, as we do have some courses which would be applicable. I would suggest that you email your details to info@hotelschool.co.za and say which campus you are interested in and then I will get them to contact you and give you all the options available to you.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 08/19/2011 - 09:08

hi, i just turned 15and realy havea pation for the kitchen. All i want to know is how old must a person be to apply, and would itbe possible for me to apply to start next year?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 08/06/2011 - 00:10

Hi im currently doing level 4 in the FET college can i apply to study at IHS. This is my third year at the college some of my subjects include food preparations, Hospitality generics, Hospitality service and Human Relations And client Service. then i also do maths litracy , life oriantation and english. those the subject iam studing qualify me to appy at IHS?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 05/03/2011 - 12:42

I cnt wait for nxt year so i can apply .So if u done wit th course who finds u th job?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 08/05/2010 - 08:30

Hi Debra
I have spoken to Chef Sean and you can still apply. Download the application form and send it to him at:
seanw@christinamartin.co.za

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 07/21/2010 - 11:36

what if i just found this now??
but i really have a passion for it ??
can i stil apply?????????????????

Along the same lines...